I’ve been buying asparagus recently every time I go to the market. As I’ve said in my previous post, asparagus is abundance in Spring season so I’m definitely not missing every opportunity to utilize it in my cooking.
I decided to use asparagus with Asian-style stir fry method so I remembered I could do with some prawn and my favourite belachan. I bought ready-made sambal belachan when I was in Penang, Malaysia and the custom officers were kind enough to let me bring it in without confiscating it! Phewwh….
- 2 bunches of asparagus (cut to 4 or 5cm lengths)
- about 5 medium sized prawns (remove shell with tail intact, devein)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped finely)
- 30 ml warm water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon of sambal belachan (ready made chilli with shrimp paste)
- 1 teaspoon of light soya sauce
- a pinch of salt and dash of white pepper powder
- Heat oil in wok on high heat. Saute garlic till beginning to brown. Stir in the belachan. Fry till fragrant.
- Add prawns and stir till begins to turn red. Add asparagus and seasoning.
- Stir well and add water. Cover lid for 30 seconds to a minute. Check to ensure that dish does not dry out. Add a little bit more water if it is dried out. Asparagus should be cooked in less than 2 minutes with just a little gravy to keep the dish moist.