This is one of those recipes that gives you the best of both world – protein (crispy chicken) and carbs (spaghetti aglia olio). It’s good to take a break from the usual meatball, bolognese or cream pasta.
2 breast meat fillet
(marinate the deboned chicken pieces with 1 tspn of salt)
3 tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp dried parsley
3/4 cup plain flour
2-3 cups bread crumbs
2 eggs, light beaten
A baking tray (lined with aluminium foil) and brushed with some normal cooking oil
Margarita Sauce Topping
Ready-made/Bottled napoletana tomato sauce
10g sprigs of fresh basil leaves
Grated cheddar cheese
1 medium sized tomatoes, sliced into thin rounds
Steps of Crumbing Chicken:
- Lightly dust the both sides of chicken with the evenly combined flour and herb mixture
- Coat the floured chicken with the lightly beaten eggs
- Drop the chicken into the bread crumb dish. Using your fingers, scoop the crumbs over the chicken. Press crumbs firmly into chicken to ensure that chicken is well crumbed on both sides.
- Oil your your roasting tray. Place the chicken into an oiled tray.
- Repeat processes (1) till (4) until all the chicken pieces are well crumbed. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
Note: Crumbed chicken may be prepared ahead of time up to a day ahead before cooking.
Steps for Making the Pasta:
- Place your chilled crumb chicken into a preheated oven. Temperature of 200 degrees celsius with fan on for 20 minutes.
- Mid way through cooking or when top side of chicken is golden brown, turn the chicken over. Continue to bake for a further 10-15 min before taking chicken out from the oven.
- Place the sliced tomatoes on the crispy baked chicken. (At this stage, I’d used a pair of kitchen scissors to snip the chicken into half for smaller individual portions. This way I also get to check to see if the insides of the chicken is fully cooked)
- Place the fresh basil leaves over the tomatoes.
- Spoon the napoletana/tomato sauce over. Return to the oven for a further 5 minutes to soften the tomato slices.
- Take chicken out from the oven, spoon another tbsp of napoletana sauce and sprinkle cheddar cheese onto each chicken parcel.
- Crown each parcel with an asparagus tip or two and finish off with some bread crumbs. Return to the oven for the final time for a further 3-5 minutes.
I served my chicken on a bed of aglio olio (garlic, coriander, chilli flakes) spaghetti and also a simple side of salad leaves drenched in balsamic vinegrette.