There are some days when I am just plain lazy and there are some days when I feel like I’m ready for some challenging recipes.
Stir fry Radish Cake Malaysia style, or widely known as “Char Kuey Kark”, is a famous street food in Penang. Nowadays you can get Char Kuey Kark at most night market or hawker stalls not just in Penang. I remember when I was young, I used to queue up at the stall, awaiting patiently for my portion of Char Kuey Kark which the uncle prepare them plate by plate (not massive production) so it would require at least 15 mins waiting time for each plate! Talk about patience. And mind you, it is really hot to be standing near the gas stove where the hot plate is. Imagine the uncle stir-frying the radish cake for like…5 hours straight.
So it’s my turn to prepare this at my comfort home. The only thing is really lacking is the absolute hot flame as you may have know, my home stove is electric and not gas so I can’t really pump up the fire as how I would really want to. Also, the authentic Char Kuey Kark requires fried pork lard and oil but I skipped it as it sounds too unhealthy to be cooking this at home.
To prepare the radish cake, it has to be steamed ahead of time.
Ingredients for Steam Radish Cake:
- 700gm shredded white radish (1 medium size white radish)
- 3 tbsp dried shrimps, softened and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp fried shallots
- 400gm rice flour
- 60gm tapioca flour
- 60gm wheat starch
- 1400gm water
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp of alkaline/lye water
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sesame oil
Steps for Steam Radish Cake:
- Bring a pot of water to boil, add shredded radish can cook for 5-8 mins until the radish are transparent and softened. Drain well.
- Combine all flour with 500ml water and mix well.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in wok, add dried shrimps and fried till fragrant. Add in cooked radish and stir fry for 3 mins. Add in remaining water and seasoning and bring to boil.
- Slowly add in flour batter and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, till mixture is thickened.
- Grease a square pan, ladle in batter and spread evenly. Steam over preheated steamer on high heat for 40mins until cook through. Cool completely before slicing.
Boiling and cooking the radish
Steaming the Radish Cake
Cutting radish cake into thick strips before cutting them into cubes
Char Kuey Kark
For one Serving, you will need the following ingredients
- 250gm radish cake, cubed
- 4 tbsp preserved radish, rinsed in water to remove excess salt
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp of dark sweet sauce (or more if you like it darker)
- 2 tbps of light soya sauce
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten with pinch of salt
- A dash of pepper
- A handful of chopped spring onion
- A handful of bean sprouts/”tau geh”
- Heat 1 tbsp in pan, add preserved radish & garlic and fry till fragrant and lightly brown.
- Add in cubed radish cake and mix briefly. Stir in sweet sauce and coat the radish cake evenly.
- Drizzle in beaten eggs and pepper. Cook till egg is set. Toss in spring onion and tau geh and give a quick stir. Serve at once.
Yummylicious! I had two plates of this =)