When I first saw this recipe, I was like… 5 steps to make a cake? Oh I’m so going to do that!
I promised myself to start learning baking (be it cake, biscuits or bread) so I’m been keeping track and bookmarking easy recipe so that I can get the basic right i.e. understand my oven temperamentalture. I also recently bagged a discounted loaf pan during the year end sale so it was a good time to put this recipe practice!
- 175g butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 175g self-rising flour
- grated rind of 1 lemon
For the Sauce:
- Preheat the oven to 180C degrees. Grease a 900g loaf pan.
- Beat the butter and suggar together until light and fluffy using electric mixer (I used setting no. 1, the lowest). Then, gradually beat the eggs in. Fold in the flour and lemon rinds.
- Turn the cake mixture into the cake tin and bake for 45 minutes, or until it is set in the centre, risen and golden. I used a bamboo stick to insert into the thickest part and see if it comes out clean. If it does, it means it is set. I checked my cake at 30 mins interval.
- Remove the cake from the oven but leave it to cool in the loaf pan.
- To make the lemon syrup, gentle heat the sugar with the lemon juice until melted, then boil it for couple of mins till it thickens a little. Turn off the heat and let it cool. Pour the syrup over the cake and leave it to cool before serving the cake/cutting it.
My other half says it would be nicer if it was orange juice instead of lemon. I think he just gave a brilliant idea. I’m going to try it with orange juice the next time.