There are times I cook with ready made can food. Well if they are good, why not?
Introducing my favourite and all time well-stocked item in my pantry – a can of Creamed Corn!
Corn soup with egg drop and shredded chicken is the best ever soup that my other half has taught me to create. Reason being he really loves it! I think his mum used to make it but her recipe involved ginger and he didn’t quite like it. He didn’t really know how to cook (despite it being really really really simple…) but he knew what was in the soup. Anyhow, I love anything soupy so this one is my favourite as well when I don’t have longer than 30 minutes to spare in the kitchen boiling soup away.
- A can of creamed corn
- 100g of chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon of chicken bouillon powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 cups of water
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Chopped spring onions for garnishing (optional)
- Heat up the water in a pot over medium heat and blanch the chicken till they are cooked through.
- Remove the chicken and let it cool before shredding them finely.
- Add in the creamed corn into the pot and stir in the chicken bouillon powder.
- Pop a lid onto the pot and let it boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Return the shredded chicken and stir around for a minute. Turn down the heat to low.
- Using a spoon, stir around to make a whirl in gently pour in the egg in the middle of the pool. When done, return the lid and let it simmer for a minute.
- Check the seasoning by adding salt and pepper.
- Ladle into a bowl and garnish with some spring onions if preferred.
Note: There’s a taste and texture difference between Creamed Corn and Corn Kernels in a can so make sure you get the right one.