Beef Stroganoff is the perfect dish for the cold winter. According to wikipedia, Beef Stroganoff is a Russian dish of sautéed pieces of beef served in a sauce with smetana or sour cream. In this recipe, I opted for crème fraiche based on recipe from Masterchef website
. I never had stroganoff in my life and this is the first time I’m cooking it so I really enjoyed the end results. The crème fraiche gave the sauce an extremely smooth silky creamy texture (almost curry-like except no spices) and it really went well with the fettucine. I will definitely cook this again and service it with plain white rice or mash.
- 2 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 100g flour
- 500g beef eye fillet, slice into strips
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 40g butter, plus extra to serve
- 200g mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 eschalots, finely diced
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup crème fraiche
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin oil, to serve
- 1 packet of off-the-shelf fresh fettucine (I use Latina Fresh)
- Combine paprika, flour and 1 teaspoon of sea salt in a bowl.
- Toss beef in the mixture to coat.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan over high heat and sear the beef for 1-2 minutes or until browned. Remove and set aside. It is important to have a large enough pan and not to overcrowd it. Repeat this process with remaining oil and beef mixture.
- Reduce heat to medium-high; add half the butter and remaining the olive oil.
- Cook the mushrooms until caramelised.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add remaining butter, eschalots and cook for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the tomato paste, stock, Worcestershire sauce and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, stir in crème fraiche, reserved beef and juices, then season with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and place a lid to keep the stroganoff warm
- Boil some water in stock pan,
- When boil, place the trimmed beans and cook for 1-2 minutes until they turn dark green. Remove and set aside.
- Using the similar pot of water, add in a pinch of salt and cook the fettucine until al-dente then toss dry through colander.
- To serve, toss cooked fettuccine with extra virgin oil and place it on a place. Ladle the beef stroganoff on top and garnish with green beans, a scoop of crème fraiche and dash of crack peppers.