Beef stew or beef casserole is a common Sunday night dinner for many Australian families. The aroma fills up the whole house and definitely the tummies as well. With cold weather coming to an end soon, I made sure I make use every opportunity I can to cook something heart warming. I wish I had a pressure cooker or slow cooker to cook this, but with patience you can still make this dish.
Beef stew is a casserole type dish, and any combination of vegetables that can withstand long cooking time is ideal to go with it in the stewing process. I made my beef stew with just potatoes, carrots and big chunks of mushrooms. Potatoes are a must because it helps to thicken the stew due to starch. I have also made easy garlic bread with store bought baguette to go with the stew.
Recipes inspired by Coles
Ingredients for Beef Stew:
- 600g of beef (chucks ideal for slow cook/stew)
- 2 potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup of fresh white mushrooms
- 3 cups of beef stock
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 brown onion, minced
- 2 tablespoon of flour
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 large bay leaf
- A handful of thyme leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Steps for Beef Stew:
- Using a bowl, toss in the flour, dash of salt and pepper then the beef. Coat each piece meat evenly.
- Heat oil in large casserole dish over medium-high heat. Working in batches (to avoid overcrowding), cook beef until browned. Set them aside.
- Add onions, garlic, bay leaf and thyme to the casserole dish and cook for 3 minutes. Return beef to the pot. Add stock and bring to gentle simmer (beef should be just covered with the liquid). Reduce to medium-low heat and simmer gently for 1½ hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes and carrot and cover. Simmer gently for 55 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked and the beef is tender enough to cut with a spoon. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef and vegetables to a bowl. Boil the remaining liquid for 20 minutes, or until it is reduced by half. Return the beef and vegetables to the pot and simmer gently until heated through.
Ingredients for Garlic Bread:
- 1 loaf of baguette
- 2 garlic, minced finely
- 2 tablespoon of butter
- 1 teaspoon of dry parsley
Steps for Garlic Bread:
- Heat the oven to 180 C degrees (fan force).
- Slice the baguette loaf and butter each side generously.
- Place the baguette on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Top each baguette with garlic mince and press the garlic mince onto each slice (to ensure it sticks). Sprinkle with dash of dry parsley.
- Toast the baguette for 5 minutes till they are crispy on the edges.