Remember in one of my old post, I had this bottle of amazing bottle of Cape Herb & Spice Braai BBQ Shaker? Recently I was doing my yearly clean up of my pantry and discovered this baby tucked away in the corner. I have no BBQ set so it is quite sad that I can’t use it for BBQ. So anyway, I read about the technique of dry rub and the spice mix does look like it has the perfect blend just for it. I bought some free range chicken wings so I thought of using dry rub method (an alternative to soaking/marinade the meat prior to cooking) to cook them.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken wings with kitchen towel.
- Preheat oven at 160 Celcius degrees fan force. Line baking foil on a baking tray. Place the chicken wings skin side up on the tray. Make sure they don’t overlay each other.
- Sprinkle the spice rub generously over the wings, ensure that all ends are covered including the wing tip. Next, drizzle (or spray) olive oil all over the wings.
- When the oven is hot, place the tray into the oven. Set the timer to 1 hour. Start off by baking the wings (skin side up) for 30 minutes.
- When 30 minutes is up, take the tray out from oven. Using a thong, rub the wings onto the oil/juice that is on the tray, then turn the wings skin side down. Sprinkle the spice rub on the wings. Place it back into the oven and bake for another 15 minutes.
- In the last 15 minutes, take the wings out and flip them over (back to skin side up). Squeeze half a lime over the wings. Place it back to the oven and turn the oven temperature to 200C degrees to crisp the edges.
- Rest the wings for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy it with grilled corns/chips on side.
I found this website that enlist homemade Braai spice in case you don’t have one and would like to have a go in making your own Braai Spice shaker (makes about 1/2 cup). Happy trying!
- 1 tot salt (I like to use high-quality salt flakes and then crush them.)
- 1/2 tot ground black pepper
- 1/2 tot paprika
- 1/2 tot crushed garlic powder
- 1/2 tot ground coriander
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (or chilli powder)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground allspice (pimento)