Barilla Australia has recently launched a new series of Family Favourites ready made pasta sauce and I have been given privileged to try them out! The three sauces are namely the Red Wine and Garlic, Cheese and Tomato and Bolognese. These ready made sauce comes in the larger size bottle and are already available for purchase at Woolworths and other independent grocers. I think the idea of larger bottles are perfect as they last longer and means I can make more servings with them.
Among the three sauces I decided to try out the Red Wine & Garlic sauce first. I have made my own homemade meatballs to go with it and served with Barilla Spaghetti N. 5. The sauce was super rich and tangy, with a light hint of garlic taste. The difference with using jarred pasta sauce is I no longer have to worry about cooking the sauce down to thicker consistency, and saves me a lot of time in the kitchen preparing a tasty dinner.
- Ingredients for Meatballs:
- 300g minced Beef (good quality)
- 1 shortcut Bacon, finely diced
- 1/2 small brown Onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried Parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons Breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 jar Barilla Red Wine and Garlic sauce
- 250g Barilla Spaghetti N. 5
- 100g Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Garlic clove, diced
- 1 Tomato, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil, with extra to garnish
- Handful of fresh parsley leaves, chopped, for garnishing
- To make the meatballs, mix all the meatballs ingredients in a large bowl and combine well. Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls. Place on a plate.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook meatballs, turning, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until browned and cooked through. Fry the meatballs in batches, and set aside when they are cooked.
- While the meatballs are frying, in a large saucepan bring plenty of water to the boil. When the water is boiling, add rock salt (7 gram to a liter of water). Add the spaghetti into the water and cook according to the instructions on the pack. Drain well.
- In the same frying pan that was used to fry the meatballs, add the garlic and fry till fragrant. Then add pasta sauce, mushrooms, tomato and the fried meatballs. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining parsley. Serve with pasta with a drizzle of olive oil.
Notes: This recipe post used Red Wine & Garlic sauce and Spaghetti pasta are supplied by Barilla Australia. All other ingredients are on the expenses of the author’s own.