Hello everyone! I know I’m late, but nevertheless I would still want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year. I hope you have had a pleasant time be it spending with family and friends, shopping, having a fabulous holidays somewhere, etc. I have had some time off from work, and when I am on my off days I usually like to spend some time in the kitchen. I decided to try my hands on making meatballs ala Swedish style meatballs. They came out fantastic I must say – hubby said they are very alike the Ikea ones…*feeling proud*. In this recipe I have used combination of beef, pork and chicken mince. I think the variety of meat compliments each other i.e. the fat from the pork gives out the extra juiciness, and the softness of the chicken mince helps to bind all the minced meat together (instead of using egg).
This recipes yields about 30 meatballs.
- Ingredients for Meatballs:
- 400g good quality Minced Beef
- 150g Pork Belly
- 150g Chicken Breast
- 1/2 medium sized Brown Onion
- 2 generous tablespoon Bread Crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon All Spice
- 1 teaspoon Salt and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- Ingredients for Sauce:
- 1 cube Beef Stock (I used Massel brand)
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Full Cream Milk
- 2 generous tablespoon Creme Fraiche
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- 2 tablespoon Plain Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Brown Sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pulse the brown onion in food processor till fine and set aside. Cut up the pork belly into small pieces and then pulse in the food processor till finely minced. Repeat the same for the chicken breast.
- Combine all the minced beef, pork and chicken, add the onions, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, all spice and salt and pepper. Using hand or spoon, mix them well and bag it in an airtight bag and placed it overnight in the fridge.
- When ready to cook the meatballs, heat up enough olive oil in a pan for shallow frying over medium heat. When hot, place the meatballs (do not overcrowd) and pan fry the meatballs, turning, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until browned and cooked through. Fry the meatballs in batches, and set aside when they are cooked.
- To make the sauce, heat up a pan and add the butter. When melted, add the flour and using a whisk, keep whisking till roux is formed. Then add the beef stock and water. Keep whisking till the roux has diluted. Next, add the creme fraiche and milk. Keep whisking till the sauce turns smooth and creamy. When the sauce starts to bubble on the side of the pan, turn off the heat. Add the brown sugar, dash of salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, simply ladle the warm sauce over the meatballs, and serve it with golden crunchy potatoes and vegetables/salad of your choice.